Wednesday, May 04, 2011

1974 Ads: CBGB

Once the CBGB ads started appearing in what seemed to be earnest, I was all like, "Great, I'll finally be able to collect enough of 'em to make a separate CBs post."  But after a small burst of them in the spring of '74, they petered out.  I can only surmise that Hilly Kristal had an extremely limited advertising budget, or he left most promo up to the bands themselves.  I always try to go over the issues with a fine-toothed comb, yet the only ads I managed to find later in the year were the two at the end, for a band I've never heard of before called the New Cat's Pajamas.  They were so tiny I very nearly missed them, so it's quite possible that a few other microscopic ads went under my radar--but I'm way too lazy to go back and check now.


3/28/74 issue.

4/11/74 issue.

4/11/74 issue.

4/18/74 issue.

4/25/74 issue.

5/2/74 issue.

5/9/74 issue.

5/9/74 issue.

6/6/74 issue.  There's a cool photo of the Dolls and the Stilettos on stage together at the Bacchus Rock Palace in Bob Gruen's New York Dolls: Photographs book...I'm assuming that's the same place as the rehearsal studio.

10/17/74 issue.

11/14/74 issue.


CB's 1974 Youtube clips, including Blondie and the Ramones.

3 comments:

Saratoga Characters said...

Bacchus Rock Palace (the Stilletoes gig flyer, also the New York Dolls performed there) was actually located at 209 w. 48th St.

Unknown said...

I performed at the Bacchus with Squeeze, the same band listed in one of the CB's ads above. The Bacchus was a beautifil, classic 1940's night club with white cloth tables that curved around to a semi circular room. The stage was elevated and also had a curved front. There were massive curtains hanging on the side of the stage. It looked like a set for a scene in a Rita Hayworth film. It's a cryin' shame that so many gorgeous venues in the Times Sq. area are all gone. Squeeze actually started performing at CB's in Feb '74 , a few weeks before Television began doing Sunday shows. We were the first band Hilly booked when he decided to start bringing original rock and roll bands into the club. The Bacchus show would be our last. The members would end up returning to CB's with other bands. Eventually I ended up Sire band Alda-Reserve then joined the Revelons in 1980. The Revelons performed during the "Final Week" fest at CB's in 2006 topping off a personal 32 year run of performing there.

Unknown said...

oops. Should add my name.
....Mark Suall