Saturday, April 02, 2011

1974 Ads: Other Venues and Miscellany, Part 3

RIP Don Hill.  I just learned that before his stints at the Cat Club and his own eponymous joint, he'd worked as manager at the original Kenny's Castaways. 


5/2/74 issue:














Turns out I have heard of the Mushroom in passing before.  I found a random, hastily jotted note about it in my files--only the address and "tail end of the glitter era"--but I have no idea where or how I came across that tidbit of info.






"Scenes" column excerpts.








5/9/74 issue:
Atlantic artists appearances.








"Scenes" column excerpt.


5/16/74 issue:














Review of The Wanderers in the Voice Literary Section.  It's one of my fave retro-NYC movies...one of these days I've got to get around to reading the novel.




5/23/74 issue:












For those who might wonder why I include many Reno Sweeney ads when few of them have any rock and roll quotient whatsoever.






Pretty hilarious list--only Lou Reed comes close to the "new wave" WLIR/WDRE programming that I remember.


5/30/74 issue:


After a certain point I was kinda saving the Cafe Wha ads just for the sake of sentiment.


















6/6/74 issue:

















6/13/74 issue:









 


"Scenes" excerpts.






6/20/74 issue:


Got a lot of my '80s and early '90s wardrobe there.  I guess it actually was on Canal at this time.







Just what are they selling here, rugs or jugs?

Yes, I do watch Jersey Shore.





6/27/74 issue:

Another Atlantic artist appearances list.


Yet another one I cannot recall hearing about previously. 












No comments: